The red brick walk outlines the quintessential suburban comforts – it passes a Honda Pilot in the driveway, winds through a manicured lawn, and ends at the white columned entrance to the Malik family’s spacious newly built home.
But, says Salman Malik, who immigrated to the United States from Pakistan at age 9, there’s something missing: “In the US, Muslim kids are in trouble [because] they lack role models and institutions.”
And here, on the outskirts of Manchester, N.H., it’s far from any Muslim community; a fledgling mosque is under construction, but it’s a small institution without many services. So Mr. Malik and his wife, Romana, “have to step in to fill that void,” he says. “We have no choice. Their [Muslim] identity is very important to us. We want to make sure they know who they are.”
More to come, please come back again!
Recommended Book Of The Month
- 29th Rabi ul Awwal Urs Muhammad Chishti 1040AH/1630CE December 17, 2017
- 24th Rabi ul Awwal Urs Shah Kalim Allah Jahanabadi, Jammah Masjid, Delhi December 12, 2017
- 22nd Rabi ul Awwal Urs Molana Fazal ul Rehman Ganj Moradabadi, U.P. 1313AH December 10, 2017
- 21st Rabi ul Awwal Urs Abdul Haq Mohaddis Delhvi- Mehroli, New Delhi 1051AH December 9, 2017
- 21st Rabi ul Awwal Urs Pir Muhammad ul Hassan Jili ul Kaleemi, 1308AH/1890CE, Tolichowki, Hyderabad, India December 9, 2017