The red brick walk outlines the quintessential suburban comforts – it passes a Honda Pilot in the driveway, winds through a manicured lawn, and ends at the white columned entrance to the Malik family’s spacious newly built home.
But, says Salman Malik, who immigrated to the United States from Pakistan at age 9, there’s something missing: “In the US, Muslim kids are in trouble [because] they lack role models and institutions.”
And here, on the outskirts of Manchester, N.H., it’s far from any Muslim community; a fledgling mosque is under construction, but it’s a small institution without many services. So Mr. Malik and his wife, Romana, “have to step in to fill that void,” he says. “We have no choice. Their [Muslim] identity is very important to us. We want to make sure they know who they are.”
More to come, please come back again!
Recommended Book Of The Month
- 1 Rajab Urs Hazrat Khwaja Maudood Chishti, Chisht, Afghanistan 527H/1133 AD March 18, 2018
- 1 Rajab Urs Hazrat Khwaja Abu Mohammad, 411H/1020 AD March 18, 2018
- 27th Jumada ath Thani Urs Mawlana Fakhr al-Din, Mehroli, Delhi, India 1199/1785 March 15, 2018
- 25th Jumada ath-Thani Urs Mohammad Farhad Delvi, Delhi 1135AH/1723CE March 13, 2018
- 25th Jumada ath-Thani Urs Hazrat Khwaja Baqi Billah, Old Delhi, 1012AH/1603CE March 13, 2018